Blog & News
From Our Table to Yours: Favorite Healthy Recipes
As the weather turns colder, many of us are ready for some classic winter dishes. ACCESS PT recently held a healthy recipe contest for our employees, and we received so many great submissions. Thank you to all staff who submitted recipes, and congratulations to the three winners! Check out their recipes below.
First Place: Slow Cooker Lemon Kale Chicken Soup
Submitted by Claudine DiNapoli, Patient Care Representative
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 handfuls chopped kale
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Combine chicken, broth, onion, kale, and lemon juice in slow cooker. Season with sea salt and fresh pepper.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Stir in parsley and serve!
Second Place: Turkey Sausage, Sweet Potato and Kale Soup
Submitted by Andrew McCauley, PT, DPT – Cary, NC
- 1 lb sweet turkey sausage
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- fresh garlic, minced (to taste – the more the better in my opinion!)
- 2-3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 4-6 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 bunch of kale
- Fully cook sausage in olive oil.
- Stir in the onion, and cook 2-3 minutes until translucent.
- Add minced garlic and stir 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add sweet potatoes, seasonings, chicken stock, and bay leaf.
- Boil partially covered for 20 minutes, or until sweet potatoes soften.
- Remove bay leaf and add kale.
- Cover and let kale cook for 5 minutes.
Third Place: Chicken Broccoli & Rice Bake
Submitted by Diana Schmale, Patient Coordinator – Honesdale, PA
- 3 cup steamable bag of cauliflower rice
- 1 1/2 cup steamable bag of broccoli
- 12 oz. cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup reduced fat cheese, grated (I use cheddar)
- 1 cup reduced fat alfredo sauce
- 2 tbsp grated pecorino romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 13×9 casserole dish and set aside.
- Steam cauliflower and broccoli.
- Add cauliflower, broccoli, shredded chicken, 3/4 cup of the grated cheese, and alfredo sauce to a large bowl. Stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish, and top with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted.