Blog & News
May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month
National Physical Fitness and Sports Month is a great time to assess your fitness levels and take action to keep your body healthy. The healthier you feel, the happier you will be. No matter what your age is, physical activity is great for everyone!
Benefits of Regular Physical Activity
We all know that we are supposed to exercise regularly, but do you know exactly how doing so changes your body? Here are some of the benefits:
- Improved sleep quality
- Reduced anxiety & stress levels
- Reduced blood pressure
- Weight maintenance
- Strengthen bones and muscles
- Improved balance and coordination
Regular activity improves overall motor function and reduces fall risk, allowing older adults to enjoy increased independence and quality of life.
Regular exercise can also reduce your risk for a variety of conditions such as:
- Heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- Several types of cancer; including breast, colon, and lung
How Do I Safely Start a Physical Fitness Program?
Not sure where to start? Keep it simple, fun, and engaging! It doesn’t have to be boring or unenjoyable – going for a daily walk with friends or family, enjoying an activity with your children, or hiking a nearby trail are all great activities to start with.
- Start slowly to prevent injury, then gradually increase the length, intensity, and frequency of your workouts as your condition improves.
- Vary your routine to prevent boredom and avoid overuse injuries.
- Find an exercise partner – you can help keep each other accountable and motivated!
- Set attainable goals and track your progress – measurable improvement is a great motivator!
If you’ve been inactive for a long period of time, schedule an appointment with your local ACCESS PT office for an evaluation. Our skilled therapists can assess your current condition and help you work on any existing issues to help prevent injury in your new physical fitness program.
This month, take the time to start your commitment to exercising and staying healthy. You will not regret it!